Lafayette Parish has authorized additional businesses to open through the Safe Shop initiative, which includes distribution of masks for workers of Broussard area businesses
Effective April 17, 2020, the Mayor-President of Lafayette Parish enacted a “Safe Shop” policy for “Gray Area” businesses. These are the businesses that are not deemed essential OR prohibited under the Governor’s existing orders. Essential and prohibited business have existing guidelines they must adhere to. Safe Shop businesses are authorized to be open and to operate subject to the following conditions:
- All employees must wear masks
- Employees may not work if they have a fever or symptoms
- Customers must maintain a minimum of 6 feet of separation when shopping or standing in line
- Maximum of 25% occupancy, as determined by code and the Certificate of Occupancy issued by the Fire Marshal
- No congregating or groups loitering in or near businesses
- Customers who have fever or symptoms should be barred from the business
These rules are consistent with the Governor’s existing emergency orders and represent a manageable risk profile, consistent with social distancing guidelines. This guidance may be withdrawn if there is a spike in either hospital admissions or reported cases of COVID.
Violations come with a $500 fine and/or up to 6 months in the parish jail. Violating businesses may also have their power shut off. Businesses that do not have a way to count customers and determine six feet between shoppers are encouraged to not open until they are able to do so.
For more information call 311 and press 2 Monday to Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.